The 2016 National Limousin Junior Show Report
Well the 2016 National Limousin Junior Show was another massive success. We had 118 competitors from right across Australia attend the 3-day event in Parkes, NSW. Although we started the weekend sopping wet, the competitors were in high spirits and were as enthusiastic as ever!
The education program kicked off Friday morning and was chock-a-block full of fantastic presentations from some great experts in our industry. Competitors were able to attend the following sessions:
- Meat Cuts with Tim Bayliss
- Beef Cattle Nutrition with Tony Starr
- Sullivan’s Product information with Darryl Holder
- Clipping and Show Preparation with Ash Morris and Hayden Green
- Visual Assessment and Markets with Jeff House
- Paraders and Showing Lessons with Nigel and Casey Wieck
- Paddock to Plate Supply Chain with Bede McAlpin
As you can see, the competitors were exposed to a range of topics relevant to the industry. We thank all the above presenters of these sessions for their time and support of the Limousin Youth Association.
Friday afternoon came around and it was time for Junior Judging. We were lucky to have the very experienced and ever so witty Jack Woodburn as the over judge. Competitors judged 3 classes of cattle and the top 5 from each age category were invited to present their placings of the heifer class. The following competitors were our Champion Junior Judges in each age division.
- Pee-Wee: Harry Whitty
- Junior: Caitlin Porter
- Sub-Intermediate: Cooper Carter
- Intermediate: Jack Laurie
- Senior and Grand Champion: Chloe Janic
On the Saturday morning, competitors then attended a Stock Show U Clinic with Christie Kennedy and Jeremy Cooper. The competitors thoroughly enjoyed this part of the program and we thank Christie and Jeremy for their presence at the event. Then came the cattle judging! James McWilliam from Kanimbla Poll Herefords had the difficult task of judging such a magnificent line up of cattle – a credit to our fantastic breeders who bought cattle to the event. We thank James for his time and would like to congratulate to the following champion and reserve champion exhibits:
Champion Commercial – Taylor Withers with Donut
- Reserve Champion Commercial – Laura Kirk with Wilworril Lydford
- Champion Owned and Exhibited – Erica Bayliss with Mandayen Wolfette
- Reserve Champion Owned and Exhibited – Rachel Relf with Mandayen Rosebud
- Champion Bull – Bethany Bayliss with Back Creek Le Payday
- Reserve Champion Bull – Angela McGrath with Flemington Legend
- Champion Calf – Erica Bayliss with Mandayen Wolfette
- Reserve Champion Calf – Georgia Brown with Ruby Park Lady Bird
- Champion Heifer– Rachel Relf with Warrigal Golden Caviar
- Reserve Champion Heifer – Nicholas Hzreszczuk with LaValla Lucy
- Champion Senior Heifer – Bentley Galpin with Birubi Lady Karnival
- Reserve Champion Senior Heifer – Brenden Lydford with Wyalla Kyna
- Supreme Champion went to Rachel Relf with Warrigal Golden Caviar
Competitors swiftly mucked out the stalls and got ready for the annual dinner at the Parkes Leagues Club. Our annual dinner auction made over $7000 to support the National Limousin Youth for future education programs and events. Thank you to all bidders and under-bidders for making the auction such a success. The scholarship recipients were also awarded at the dinner. Congratulations to Rachel Relf who received the Longreach Most Potential Breeder award, Kate Loudon and Jacinta Olster who are the 2016/17 Ambassadors, Saint Josephs School for taking home the Garren Park School Steer, and to Brenden Lydford who was awarded the International Travel Award. A massive thank you must go to those who assisted us with interviews and selecting these recipients. I was told the calibre of applicants was high, making the decision no easy feat.
Sunday saw the competitors all bright eyed and bushy tailed for the paraders competition. Krystelle Ridley had the challenge of selecting the top handlers and from watching on the side lines, we knew the decision wouldn’t be easy! Thank you Krystelle for your swift and consistent judging of the following Champion and Reserve Champion paraders:
Champion Pee-Wee: Audrey Gill
Sunday afternoon we awarded the final prizes for the herdsman competition. Thank you to all of the herdsman judges who were given the task of monitoring the competitors over the duration of the weekend and selecting them based on their overall presentation, cooperation and teamwork. Congratulations to the following recipients
- Champion Pee-Wee: Thomas Devine
- Reserve Champion Pee-Wee: Will Bisley
- Champion Junior: Charlie Steele
- Reserve Champion Junior: Montana Cronin
- Champion Sub-Intermediate: Scott Diack
- Reserve Champion Sub-Intermediate: Erica Bayliss
- Champion Intermediate: Michelle Fairall
- Reserve Champion Intermediate: Tailem Brown
- Champion Senior: Angela McGrath
- Reserve Champion Senior: Rachel Relf
- Grand Champion: Scott Diack
- Novice: Sophie Day
I would like to take the opportunity to thank all of our sponsors and those who bought ballot animals– without your support, this event would not be nearly as successful. I would also like to personally congratulate the 2015/16 committee on bringing together an incredible event – I know we were like ducks, graceful on top but swimming like mad underneath, but we pulled through the trials and did it. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the committees I have been involved with and the broader Limousin community for their support during my time as the Limousin Youth Association secretary. I have met some incredible people, made some great contacts and created life-long friendships. I truly hope the National Limousin Junior Show and the association goes from strength to strength and continues to grow to give the youth of the beef industry greater exposure to this fantastic industry.
Outgoing LYA Secretary.